basket help

• Palekh
• Fedoskino
• Kholui
• Mstera
• Matryoshka
• Books
• Soldiers
• Icons

• View entire collection
• Browse by Artist
• New items
• Antique
• Sale!

• Gallery of sold boxes

• Artists
• Fairytales
• Themes
• Creation of a box
• Video
• Guest Book

• Contact us

  Login Form

  Subscribe to news

VISA MasterCard

Home > Gallery > Fedoskino > Over $500

Share |



Title: Kirillo-Belozerskiy Monastery
Artist: Kozlov Sergey
Size: 20x14x5
Size (inches): 8x5.5x2
Price : $8500 SOLD!


Most known and top Fedoskino artist Sergey Kozlov, is the Master resposible for this very detailed composition, showing a panoramic view of Kirillo-Belozerskiy Monastery.
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, translated into English as White Lake (translation of the town name of Beloozero). St. Cyril's Monastery, used to be the largest monastery and the strongest fortress in Northern Russia. The monastery was consecrated to the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, for which cause it was sometimes referred to as the Dormition Monastery of St. Cyril. By the 20th century, the town of Kirillov had grown nearby.
The monastery was founded in 1397 on the bank of Lake Siverskoye, to the south from the town of Beloozero, in the present-day Vologda Oblast. Its founder, St. Cyril or Kirill of Beloozero, following the advice of his teacher, St. Sergius of Radonezh, first dug a cave here, then built a wooden Dormition chapel and a loghouse for other monks.
By 1427, when Kirill died, the prince of Belozersk-Mozhaisk (subject to the Grand Prince of Moscow) was the monastery's patron and the monastery was administratively subordinate to the Archbishop of Rostov. Under Hegumen Trifon (1434/5-1447/8), social and administrative reforms were undertaken, including the adoption of an Athonite cenobitic rule. A Byzantine-style secondary school was established at which translations of textbooks on grammar, semantics, geography, and history were used.
In the 16th century, the monastery was the second richest landowner in Russia, after its model, the Trinity Monastery near Moscow. Ivan the Terrible not only had his own cell in the cloister, but also planned to take monastic vows here. The cloister was also important as a political prison. Among the Muscovite politicians exiled to Kirillov were Vassian Patrikeyev, Tsar Simeon Bekbulatovich, Patriarch Nikon, and the prime minister Boris Morozov. In December 1612, the monastery was besieged by Polish-Lithuanian vagabonds, the Lisowczycy, who failed to capture it.
The vast walled area of the monastery comprises two separate priories with eleven churches, most of them dating to the 16th century. Of these, nine belong to the Uspensky (Dormition, the Orthodox equivalent of the Catholic holiday known as the Assumption of Mary) priory by the lake. The Dormition cathedral, erected by Rostov masters in 1497, was the largest monastery church built in Russia up to that date. Its 17th-century iconostasis features many ancient icons, arranged in five tiers above a silver heaven gate endowed by Tsar Alexis in 1645. A lot of valuable objects kept in the sacristy are personal gifts of the tsars who visited the monastery.
The monastery walls, 732 meters long and 7 meters thick, were constructed in 1654-80. They incorporate parts of the earlier citadel, which helped to withstand the Polish siege in 1612. At first construction works were supervised by Jean de Gron, a French military engineer known in Russian sources as Anton Granovsky. After the monastic authorities denigrated his Western-style design as alien to Russian traditions, Granovsky was replaced by a team of native masters. The fortress was the largest erected in Muscovy after the Time of Troubles; its walls feature numerous towers, each built to a particular design.
In this work the artist has used his favorite palette composed of various shades of blue and gray oils mixed with aluminum powder. Mother-of-pearl fills the composition with a magic surrealistic glow. Mother-of pearl can be found in the the river and in the the walls of fortress.
The composition is framed with a gold line.
The box exterior is covered with black lacquer and sides are decorated with shapes cut out of gold metal foil, and glued to the box manually(so called "scan"). This metal shapes is composed the three lines and flowers. Its interior is traditionally red.
The box is made out of paper-mache. It has a hinge from the top of the composition and rests on a flat bottom. Signed by Sergey Kozlov,2018 and the village of Fedoskino.

Home  |  Contact us  |  Shipping information  |  About us  |  Links  |  Privacy policy  |  Return policy

Copyright 2003-2024
Design by